Todd Stepsis and the Bulldogs found their groove the last few weeks, after working hard to throw away games against MST and Marist. Realistically, I think we can expect Stepsis to be back for '23.
Can Drake maintain momentum through signing day, spring ball, and next season? I think it depends on several factors.
1. Stepsis can't regress into his infatuation with Ian Corwin (is Corwin even returning next year?) Bailey is the man; stick with him.
2. No more fake punts. No more going for it on 4th and more than 4 yards...unless the Bulldogs are behind with less than two minutes on the clock. Write it into Stepsis' contract.
3. Drake MUST aggressively pursue transfers. Many of the Bulldogs' best players will themselves transfer. If Drake wants to win a championship, it's essential to do more than simply replace the talent of the guys who leave. Developing players over 4-5 years will no longer work for Drake. Goodbye in advance to Finn Claypool, et al.
4. Willie Cashmore is a great recruiter and D-Line coach. However, Drake should hire someone else to take over special teams.
5. Drake DBs have to contest passes, instead of laying back. Didn't Stepsis learn anything in the 2017 South Dakota game?