I don't have any inside information. Am a fan and have met the coaches going back to Baumgarten (sp?), but few or none of them would know my name. I give a bit of money, but do have season tickets going back to the 90's. In short, I am an interested fan, but mostly a nobody who supports the program because they have largely done it right for a long time with true student athletes.
I like this hire. Here's why:
1. Hardin is a good AD. He has made a lot of good decisions since he arrived. He knows AP and sees her everyday. He must have a pretty good sense of who she is and has some strong expectations of how she will be as a leader.
2. AP has seen it done under 2 really good coaches, IMO. Both Tony D and Jennie, while dramatically different showed ways to be successful and form young students. She was a loyal assistant to both.
3. No matter who the coach was and what the schemes were she went out and found the players who fit the system and fit Drake (or UNI). While her role changes as head coach, she has shown a real ability to identify and evaluate talent.
4. Maintains lots of recruiting ties to (relatively) local programs established long ago.
5. My limited exposure tells me that she has readily learned the lessons available to her and she is ready to make this transition and lead the Drake Women's Basketball program.