Will not mention the names of the schools. All incidents took place at opposing schools, except one. The life of playing ball on the south side in the 60s....and now!
1) A teammate, a cheerleader, a kid on the football team and I were leaving after one quarter of watching the frosh-soph game after our varsity game. In the parking lot we were getting harrassed, then they started coming after us with ice balls. Somehow, we made it to the car. The assault continued. One guy put his fist through the driver's window (the teammate was driving). We were able to floor it out of there. Flagged down a patrol car. He drove us back to the school and asked us from across the street, if we could recognize anyone. HA!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky to get out of there.
2) At a center court jump ball, a little shoving and pushing got started. Our first team all-city player was involved. Then, as if it was rehearsed, the home fans from the opponent's team charged the court. Mayhem
ensued. The cops had to be called in. Unbelievably, the game was played after that....with the fans in the stands!!
3) After a playoff game, in which we scored a major upset, a fan bus, in the parking lot getting ready to leave for our school, was attacked. They were pounding on the bus and started to rock the damn thing. Somehow, the driver was able to gain control and get out of there.
4) After a game, outside the opponent's school, a few of our guys were crossing the street, then, like the clay people from Flash Gordon, the attack was on. Yep, another police situation.
5) An almost riot at the '62 state runner up. Another pushing/shoving incident with our first team all-city guy. No fans leaving the bleachers, but both benches cleared. As I was about to join the fray, something was holding me back. I looked to see, and it was our football coach!! He told me to get my ass back to the bench. I saw him about 2-3 years ago, for the first time since high school, and I reminded him about it and thanked him for saving my hide!! That same team won state the following year.
6) At our school, the locker room had a very small vestibule between doors from the hallway and another set of doors to the locker room itself. Both teams shared locker rooms in those days. After a game (with Dick Butkus' alma mater), one of our guys found himself in that small vestibule with one of their guys. Our guy said nice game and their guy just pounded the crap out of him (sucker punches). No one knew it happened until he came into the locker room bleeding.
7) After a game, we were getting dressed. Our lockers were by the showers. We had some kids on our team of a different faith of the kids on the home team. The home team kids started what they thought was
cute and started goose stepping. Right as the fists were about to fly, our coach ( a Korean war veteran pilot ) came in the locker room and kicked their guys out. Would have been a near naked brawl.
8) Not a direct game incident, but two of our guys were playing golf at Jackson Park (which they want to ruin with the Obama museum) and a couple of guys jump out of the trees and bushes with knives and told the guys to give them their clubs. One of our guys gave them a cock 'n bull story about his putter being a gift from his grandpa and asked him if he could keep it. They said o.k. Our guy took out the putter and proceeded to beat the crap out of them with the club. They took off and my buddies finished their round.
We had no national anthem before the games, we had no pre- game team introductions, we had no post game hand shake line....and no one complained or gave a sh-t.
I know that I've left out a few incidents. Hope you have enjoyed these personal tales of yester-year.